Effective for the 2020-2021 season, minor hockey associations, including those in the Ontario Hockey Federation’s Member Partners - OMHA, ALLIANCE, GTHL, NOHA and the OWHA - will be following the U7 (IP), U9 (Novice) and U11 (Atom) Player Pathways.
One item that PECMHA feels is of interest to parents of players who will be playing U11 (Atom) next season is the new Player Tryout Policy.
Taken from OMHA Article December 23 2019 https://www.omha.net/news_article/show/1073503
Key changes have been made to the Player Pathways at U7 (Initiation) and U9 (Novice). This will create consistency in all programming across the country and a seamless transition for players from U7 (Initiation) through to U11 (Atom) based on the Long Term Player Development model.
U11 (Atom) Player Pathway Policy (Must be followed for 2020-21 Season)
1. Player Tryouts
- No tryouts prior to or during the first week of school.
- No tryouts during the off-season phase (previous season, including March through August).
- No tryouts during the first week of school where school starts the week after Labour Day.
- Where school starts prior to Labour Day, there must be four skates/practices starting the week following Labour Day before tryouts commence.
- Must offer a minimum of four practice/skill sessions prior to formal evaluation starting.
- Must have a minimum of three form evaluation sessions:
- Players should not tryout based on a specific position, but should be encouraged to play both forward and defense in tryouts.
- Players should be selected for teams based on skill, not positional preference.
Please feel free to read the rest of the article above for more information.